Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

In 1882 an application for a provisional school was approved on the grounds of ‘isolation’. This meant that the parents had to supply the school building and teacher accommodation, while the government provided the teacher’s salary.

The first permanent school was opened on 14 January 1914. The owner of the St Bernard Hotel donated the land on the proviso that the school was called ‘St Bernard’. Eighteen children were enrolled that year with Miss Edith Walker as the first teacher.

St Bernard State School has a long history of high academic performance. We encourage our gifted students to achieve their best by offering excellence programs aimed at extending their knowledge and understanding in a variety of areas.