A Proud History
St Bernard State School's history dates back to 1882 when an application for a provisional school was approved on the grounds of 'isolation'. This meant that the parents had to supply the school building and teacher accommodation, while the government provided the teacher's salary.
The first permanent school was opened on 14 January 1914. The owner of the St Bernard Hotel donated the land on the provision that the school was called 'St Bernard'. Eighteen children were enrolled that year with Miss Edith Walker as the first teacher. Since that time, our school has changed with the world around it, while still using our original building from 1914. This building will be transformed into the “Arts" space in 2024 so that we can continue to value the strong history held by the school. Throughout the years, St Bernard State School has had many passionate educators walk through its gate with previous principals and teachers, still volunteering today. With a strong volunteer's program and connections with community groups, St. Bernard's offers our students access to variety of opportunities beyond that of larger schools in the South East. The Gold Coast School with the Small Country Town feel, as we truly treat our families and community as if they were our own.